Monday, 4 April 2016

Not There Yet, But Soon

What's happening with Tanzania??
It's the first question I get from everyone these days grin emoticon
The word on the street is that I'll finally be leaving by the end of the month! Fingers crossed, knock on wood, pray for me, etc.

MY ROLE
As some of you may know, it's been a dream of mine to do meaningful work overseas, especially environmental work. I can't believe this dream will finally be realized! I'm thrilled to be participating in this project since I care deeply about the environment and about inequality. I'll be bringing my environmental consulting skills, my leadership and facilitiation skills, and my enthusiasm for international development to Mwanza, a beautiful city in Tanzania on Lake Victoria.
I'm going over as part of the Tanzanian Local Economic Development (T-LED) project: http://www.cusointernational.org/pro…/projects/project/T-LED
Everything about the project excites and inspires me, and I'm so grateful to be a part of it.


The organization I'm volunteering with is called Cuso International. I have been trying to get a position overseas with this group for the past four years after learning about it from my good friend Cindy Sawchuk who spent a year in China, and one of my profs from university who spent four years volunteering in Zimbabwe and Botswana back in the early 70's!

ABOUT CUSO
Cuso International sends people rather than money. Volunteers work on long-term, sustainable solutions, and live at the heart of the community they serve, on a similar allowance and in comparable accommodation to their local co-workers. In spite of the obstacles facing them, people in every corner of the developing world are building better futures for their communities. Volunteers work side-by-side with these committed citizens to make this positive change happen. They are matched to placements that meet the direct requests of our overseas partners. Lasting change requires not just a financial investment, but also a human investment. That’s why Cuso International shares skills, and improves lives.

WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
As a volunteer, I need to raise $2,000. Cuso, the organization training me and sending me overseas, is a non-profit organization and raises 10% of its funds through donations. The Canadian government matches every dollar donated nine times, meaning that for every dollar donated the government matches nine dollars. The cost of sending a volunteer for a six month placement is $20,000, so I need to raise 10% of those funds ($2,000).

SUPPORT
Any amount of donation is greatly appreciated; many hands make for light work! Donations over $10 are tax deductible. You can donate to me in person and you can donate here on this site:https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/FundraisingPage.aspx…


If donating is not for you, please take a look at Cuso's website and see what incredible work the organization does. Perhaps you, or someone you know, are interested in volunteering overseas; take a look at their current placements: https://cusoconnect.cusointernational.org/…/placement/plac…/


I really appreciate your support, whether it be monetary, morale, or taking a leap and becoming a volunteer too!

1 comment: