Thursday, 11 August 2016

A Nane Nane Experience

This time every year Tanzanians celebrate it being the 8th day of the 8th month by having a big agriculture expo. My project had a tent set up there all week showcasing some of the businesses we are mentoring. 

The T-LED Project booth! We have an entrepreneur selling traditional honey, a women's group that makes fruit wine, a woman making dagaa (kind of like dried sardines) and an entrepreneur that makes organic sunflower oil.

I knew that today (August 8th) was the last day of the expo and also a holiday Monday, but it didn't really occur to me the sheer level of insanity that would ensue trying to attend today.

Highlights of the attempted attendance of the event today included 1.5 hours in transit on the way to the event, not actually making it to the event, white privilidge and seeing the entire population of the Lake Zone (Mwanza and surrounding villages) in one location at the same time.

The long line of traffic trying to leave Nane Nane. Notice that all the daladalas (buses) are driving on both sides of the road. 
The funny part of the circus today was getting a ride to the event. I had been walking for half an hour trying to catch what I thought was the right daladala (bus). I finally came to a crowded bus stop and waited with the crowd who was saying "Nane Nane" in their conversations. A big truck pulled up, the driver yelled "NANE NANE" and the crowd mobbed the vehicle. I still haven't perfected the Tanzanian method of butting in front of everyone else in a crowd, so I was waiting a little back from the bustle. 

The driver spotted me, the lone white girl, and howled "MZUNGU" with delight. He yanked open the passenger side door and pulled out the loudly protesting man squished in by the door. He ushered me in, rolled down the window and made sure my skirts were all tucked in as he closed the door for me. White privilege. I'm not ashamed to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. In my mind it makes up for some of the street harassment I get every damn day. 


But, the fun doesn't stop there. As everyone got jammed into the back, a man shoved a baby in through the window and onto my lap! Now, the culture here around children is absolutely incredible; it feels like every adult can be called upon for parental duty at any time. On this occasion the mama in the back was obviously squished and I had a free lap, so I became the baby holder for the 45 minute ride. Little did this mama know that I have no experience holding babies. Luckily, the baby knew what was happening, so she put her little head on my chest and fell asleep for the whole ride and I was saved from public humiliation for parental incompetence.

The four of us squished in the passenger seats of the truck. 

Here are some more pictures from Nane Nane.
Chai and chappati time in our tent in the morning. 

David checking out the goods at one of the tents near ours.
Our driver John bought me a bracelet :) Now every time I wear it he tells me "Unapendeza!" (you look nice).




1 comment:

  1. Waiting hours in a queue, riding a packed bus and watching children; sounds like my personal hell! Glad that you embraced it and see all the positives about it. You may have been disappointed that you missed the expo but all the insanity that happened around it makes for a great story!

    ReplyDelete